Baked Clams Recipe
When you start with fresh clams, you can’t go wrong with this appetizer, particularly because it’s made with our fresh bread crumbs, which truly make it special. The fresh crumbs are nicely seasoned with garlic and cheese. Baked clams are always among the most popular appetizers in any Italian restaurant, and Carmine’s is no exception. Taste them and you will know why!
- 12 LITTLENECK CLAMS, RINSED AND SCRUBBED
- 1 CUP BOTTLED CLAM JUICE
- ¾ CUP BREAD CRUMBS
- 1 TABLESPOON FINELY CHOPPED GARLIC
- 1 TABLESPOON GRATED ROMANO CHEESE
- 1 TABLESPOON OLIVE OIL
- 2 LEMONS. HALVED
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Open the clams and loosen the muscle underneath the clam meat. Discard the top shell and leave the clam and its juice in the bottom shell.
- Place the clams in a shallow baking pan or on an ovenproof platter and spoon about 4 teaspoons of clam juice over each one. It’s OK if the juice spills over.
- Press about 1 teaspoon of the bread crumbs on top of each clam with your fingers. Sprinkle an additional ½ teaspoon of bread crumbs on each clam. Scatter the garlic around the clams.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the clams and then drizzle them with olive oil.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the clams for about 15 minutes or until the bread-crumb topping is crispy.
- Turn on the broiler and broil the clams for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned.
- Serve the clams with the lemon halves and with any extra sauce spooned over them.